The Indian Meteorological Society (IMS) is a non-profit scientific society with an overarching objective to disseminate knowledge of meteorology and allied sciences both among the scientific workers and among the public. This to achieved by organizing lectures, meeting, symposia, publishing suitable pamphlets, brochures etc., preparing e-learning modules and conducting training workshops. These activities would require sustained organized effort on the part of the society. Therefore, it is proposed to constitute a Standing Committee for Public Awareness and Education to promote public awareness about meteorology and allied sciences.
Tenure, Membership and Mode of Functioning
The Standing Committee will have tenure of four years. The committee will be composed of seven members, with four IMS Fellows and three ex-officio IMS National Council (NC) members. IMS Fellows will serve the committee for the entire period of four years and will provide continuity. Ex-officio members will be from the NC currently in-charge at any given point of time.
The Committee will function in virtual mode using e-mails, skype and teleconference. The Secretary of the committee, preferably one of the ex-officio members, will coordinate the work of the Committee under the guidance of the Chair and other members. The Committee may hold side meetings during TROPMET/INTROMET events, if possible. The Committee may constitute Working Groups/Expert Teams/Task Teams to carry out various functions of the Committee.
Terms of Reference
To popularize meteorology and allied sciences by :
- Preparing an implementation plan for the next 10 years and an action plan for the next four years;
- Preparing brochures, films, posters on popular topics;
- Organizing popular lectures and “Met-Aware” programmes for public and in schools;
- Developing linkages with Science/Eco Clubs in schools;
- Using new communication technologies and social media for public awareness;
- Developing on-line awareness and Met Education modules;
- Organizing Field Camps;
- Conducting training programmes for school teachers and media.
To be determined.